Obtain import Customs clearance/goods release note - Ethiopia
Quick info guide
To obtain an import license you need to have;
- A copy of your Tax Identification Number (TIN);
- A copy of the Memorandum of Association and Articles of Association for private limited and share companies;
- Two passport size photographs taken within the last six months;
- If the applicant is a foreign investor, the investment and residence permits; and
- A valid commercial registration certificate.
License fees: 102 ETB
The following goods are prohibited imports to Ethiopia:
(i) Used clothing
(ii) Arms and ammunition, except by the Ministry of Defense
(iii) Goods of a commercial nature and quantity that are not imported through formal bank payment mechanisms.
How to import goods into Ethiopia
To start an import business, one requires commercial registration and a license from the Ministry of Trade and Industry. The fees for commercial registration and business license are 102 ETB for each. For anyone who wishes to get started in business in general and import trade in particular, it is necessary to visit the Ministry of Trade and Industry which is located around ‘Kazanchis’ on the way to ‘Filwuha’ in the same building with the Development Bank of Ethiopia.
Obtain import Customs clearance/goods release note
Step 7: Obtain import Customs clearance and goods release note
After submitting the Customs declaration, examination of the declaration and physical examination of goods will be performed. In addition to the clearance activities, other regulatory bodies will also be involved in the clearance of certain imported goods.