Immigration Info - Kenya
Passport application checklist
Application is accompanied by:
- Documentary evidence of Kenyan citizenship;
- 3 current, clear and un-mounted passport size photographs;
- Recommendation by a Kenyan national, but not by immediate relatives;
- Copy of Recommender’s National ID or passport;
- For applicants below the age of 18 years, parents or legal guardians written consent;
- For adopted applicants, the original adoption certificate, clearance letter from the children’s department, and/or, the Court ruling or award;
- Prescribed processing fee.
- The applicant shall submit an application for a passport in person in the prescribed manner i.e. e-passport
- The Passport Control Officer may require the applicant to produce supplementary information to ascertain the citizenship or nationality of the applicant.
The Ministry of Interior and Coordination of National Government
Department of Immigration Services
Nyayo House 20th floor,
Kenyatta Avenue/Uhuru Highway
P.O Box 30395 – 00100 Nairobi.
Immigration information in Kenya
The Ministry of Interior and Coordination of National Government through the Directorate of Immigration and Registration of Persons is responsible for registration of persons,maintenance of an inclusive persons register, management of migration, border control and refugees welfare supervision.
Categories of visas issued by Kenya
- Ordinary Visa: Issued for Single or Multiple entries to persons whose nationalities require visas to enter Kenya.
- Transit Visa: Issued for periods not exceeding 3 days to persons whose nationalities require visas to enter Kenya and who intend to transit through Kenya to a different destination.
- Diplomatic Visa: Issued for Single or Multiple entries to holders of Diplomatic passports who are on official duty.
- Courtesy/ Official Visa: Issued to persons holding Official or Service passports on Official duty and to Ordinary passport holders who are not entitled to Diplomatic visa; but where it is considered by the Director to be desirable on the grounds of international courtesy.
- East Africa Tourist Visa: This is a joint tourist visa that entitles holders to travel to and within the Republics of Kenya, Rwanda, Burundi, Uganda and the United Republic of Tanzania, for the purpose of tourism.Validity of East Africa Tourist Visa 90 days and Multiple Entry Fee of US$ 100.
Requirements for application of work permits for foreigners working in Kenya
6 documents are required while applying for a work/residence permit in Kenya
Types of passes and requirements
Passes and requirements for foreigners in Kenya