Import Licences - Kenya
Quick information guide
In Kenya, import information can be obtained from the
- Kenya National Chamber of Commerce and Industry (KNCCI);
- Export Promotion Council (EPC); and
- Export Processing Zones Authority (EPZA)
Besides providing information on the market, these institutions can also connect you with potential trade partners who may be interested in trading with Kenya.
Sector Associations such as:
- Fresh Produce Exporters Association of Kenya (FPEAK) and
- Association of Fish Processors and Exporters of Kenya (AFIPEK) provide information on markets.
- Commercial attachés at locally based embassies of foreign countries provide information on trade opportunities in their home countries.
- Established exporters can also provide advice.
- A business directory can provide contact details of exporters of particular products, as well as contacts of other organizations involved in international trade.
Import information for the Republic of Kenya
Kenya imports various products for consumption and for use in manufacturing. With a liberalized economy and globalization of markets, importers in Kenya are expected to be more competitive and innovative in international trade if they are to effectively exploit the opportunities that world markets present.
However, international trade transactions are complex and involve many players, regulations, standards and financial relationships. This complexity means that many potential importers lack adequate knowledge on what needs to be done to transact effectively. It is for this reason they shy away from international trade.