Agreement Establishing The World Trade Organization - Kenya
Treaties and Conventions to which Kenya is a signatory:
- COMESA Treaty
- East Africa Community Monetary Union Protocol
- East Africa Community Common Market
- Agreement on the World Trade Organisation
- Agreement on the International Monetary Protocol
Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Trade
Old Treasury Building, Harambee Avenue
P.O Box 30551 – 00100 G.P.O
Tel: +254 20 3318888
The responsibility for concluding treaties involving the Republic of Kenya lies with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The Ministry is responsible for policy aspects, as well as matters of form and procedure.
The Ministry has a Treaty Section within the Legal Division that keeps records of bilateral and multi-lateral treaties involving Kenya. It runs an inquiry service that provides information on treaties to the public. The Ministry also coordinates Kenya’s responsibilities as depositary for certain treaties deposited with the Government of Kenya. Read More
Functions of the WTO
- The WTO shall facilitate the implementation, administration and operation, and further the objectives, of this Agreement and of the Multilateral Trade Agreements, and shall also provide the framework for the implementation, administration and operation of the Plurilateral Trade Agreements.
- The WTO shall provide the forum for negotiations among its Members concerning their multilateral trade relations in matters dealt with under the agreements in the Annexes to this Agreement. The WTO may also provide a forum for further negotiations among its Members concerning their multilateral trade relations, and a framework for the implementation of the results of such negotiations, as may be decided by the Ministerial Conference.
- The WTO shall administer the Understanding on Rules and Procedures Governing the Settlement of Disputes (hereinafter referred to as the "Dispute Settlement Understanding" or "DSU") in Annex 2to this Agreement.
- The WTO shall administer the Trade Policy Review Mechanism (hereinafter referred to as the "TPRM") provided for in Annex 3 to this Agreement.
- With a view to achieving greater coherence in global economic policy-making, the WTO shall cooperate, as appropriate, with the International Monetary Fund and with the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development and its affiliated agencies. Download treaty here